The First Step recognises the importance of its services to children and young people and its responsibility to safeguard and protect their welfare.
As part of its Mission, the agency is committed to:
• Upholding the principals derived from the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child
• Upholding the Principals of Every Child Matters
• Valuing, listening to and respecting children and young people as well as promoting their welfare and protection
• Safe recruitment, supervision and training for all the children’s and young people’s workers within the agency
• Adopting a procedure for dealing with allegations of abuse
• Encouraging and supporting parents/carers
• Supporting those affected by abuse
• Embracing a multi-agency approach, and working together to safeguard children and young people.